Approval for courses taken elsewhere must be obtained in advance from the Registrar.  Please fill out the Transfer Credit Permission Form and bring it to the Registrar’s Office for approval.

Grades for transfer courses must be a minimum of C- in order for the course and hours to be accepted by RMC.  Transfer course grades do not calculate in the RMC GPA, but are calculated into the major/minor GPA for graduation.  Transfer courses may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.

A student who wishes to receive transfer credit for credits earned at another institution is responsible for providing the Registrar’s Office with an official transcript of the work upon completion of the course.

Official transcripts should be mailed to:

Randolph-Macon College
204 Henry Street
Ashland, VA  23005
Attn:  Registrar’s Office

Official transcripts delivered through secure electronic transmission may be sent to  Electronic transcripts must be sent directly from the institution.  Pdf attachments are not considered official.

If you have the transcript mailed to you, please bring it to the Registrar’s Office unopened or it will not be considered official.


Chairs of departments make initial evaluation of courses that are accepted through transfer credit. Accepted transfer credit must be identified for proper advising.

Evaluation of transfer courses falls under two categories:

  1. When the description of a transfer course matches a RMC course the RMC course becomes the equivalent course for purposes of advising and meeting collegiate and/or major and minor requirements. (Ex. A transfer course that is equivalent to HIST 211 would transfer in as HIST 211.)
  2. When the description of a transfer course does not match a RMC course and the transfer course is an acceptable credit bearing course, the following number sequencing should be used:010      Courses that are accepted for elective credit only. Such courses cannot be applied towards collegiate requirements or major/minor requirements.020      Courses that are accepted to meet the collegiate requirements only.030      Courses that are accepted to meet the collegiate requirements and will apply to a major/minor*.040      Courses that apply only to the major/minor*. 

* For courses counting on a major/minor, specify what area of the major/minor the course would satisfy. For majors or minors that have specific groups, identify the group and the corresponding number will be used. Example: If the transfer course is accepted to meet a requirement in Group III, the RMC equivalent will be 033 or 043.