Safe, flexible, and communal. Living on campus at Randolph-Macon is a big part of campus life, and our Residence Life team aims to facilitate a superb living and learning environment where you can feel at home.

  • Location: Student Engagement Center, 2nd floor of Brock Commons
  • Phone: 804.752.3205
  • Email:

housing options

Details on our residence halls and special interest options

Two students unpacking in a dorm room

housing application process

The nitty gritty on how students select their housing

Important Dates & Deadlines

  • August 31 – Incoming freshmen and transfer move-in
  • September 2 & 3 – Upperclassmen move-in
  • October 13 – Fall Break begins after classes (Residence Halls do not close)
  • November 8 – Request to remain on campus for break form due on the Buzz
  • November 22 – Residence Halls close at 9 a.m. for Thanksgiving Break
  • December 16 – Halls close at 9 a.m. for Winter Break*
  • January 1 – Off-Campus waiver applications available on eRezLife
  • January 7 – Residence Halls open at noon to students taking J-term classes
  • January 21 – Request to remain on campus for break form due on the Buzz
  • February 2 – Residence Halls close at 9 a.m. for J-term Break
  • February 11 – Residence Halls open at noon
  • February 13 – Residential and Traditional Commuter applications open

*No students will be permitted to remain on-campus over winter break because the College will be closed with no available resources to students.

Housing Requirement

Randolph-Macon College is a four-year residential college and requires that all students live in College-owned residence halls unless they are: residing with their parents, guardians, or spouses within 35 miles of the College at the listed address with the College; 23 years of age or older; part-time students with 11 or fewer semester hours; or those students who have special medical or personal considerations, documented through Disability Support Services.

Quick Links

Need help with parking decals, student IDs, meal plans? Contact

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I live off-campus?

Randolph-Macon’s community is special because of our residency requirement. Students live on-campus for all four years, with new and different options for upperclassmen like apartments and townhouses.

However, students may request permission to live off campus by submitting a written request to the Director of Residence Life. The Residence Life professional staff will review all applications and determine those to be approved according to the following guidelines: 

  • Residing with their parents, guardians, or spouses within 35 miles of Ashland as verified by the parent or guardian 
  • 23 years of age or older; part-time students with 11 or fewer semester hours 
  • Have received a special waiver granted by the Office of Disability Support & Services for those students who have special medical or personal considerations, which must be accommodated (documentation is required) 

Due to capacity constraints, there will be times when the College will permit other students to move off campus. When this occurs, students will be selected based on class seniority and will be regulated by the Residence Life team. The authorization to live off campus will be granted for that particular academic year only. Students cannot sign a lease prior to receiving approval for their off-campus waiver through Residence Life. If a student signs a lease and is not approved for an off-campus waiver they will still be responsible for the cost of campus housing.

How do I get a single occupancy room?

Students can request a single room during housing selection. If available, the student would be charged a single room fee. This fee does not apply to those who have an approved single room accommodation through Disability Services. Note: if a student is assigned a double room with no roommate by chance, there is no fee. However, they may have another student placed in that room. 

What should I bring to my residence hall?

All rooms in residence halls are equipped with furniture, blinds, and include internet, phone and cable access. You should bring all you need for comfort, day-to-day living, and to deck out your room  just for you. View a packing list (and a list of what not to bring) here. 

I’ll be a first-year student (or transfer), attending RMC in the fall. How do I get placed in housing?

The first step in receiving your housing for the academic year is to complete your Housing Application. You can find this application on eRezLife, our housing platform. This form will take you less than 10 minutes to fill out, and will ask questions about your sleeping habits, study habits, general preferences, and reviews our drug and alcohol policy. This form is due by June 1.

I’m a first-year student. How do I select or get assigned a roommate?

If you know who you would like to live with during your first year at Randolph-Macon College, you will be able to let us know once you have completed this application on eRezLife. After you submit your housing application, a new tab called Roommate Groups will show up on the left-hand side of your screen. In order to create a group, both students need to have completed their housing application! 

If you do not know who you would like to live with, upon completion of your housing application, you can go to your Roomeez Profile, turn it on, and search through students who are also looking for a roommate!

Can I get mail/packages on campus?

The mail room is open on campus Monday – Saturday. Packages are available 24/7 in a secure package locker. (Create a login by clicking “forgot password.)If you have any questions, please contact Mail Services at 804-752-8630 or

I need accommodations for a disability. What’s the process?

Students should complete the Housing/Dining Accommodation Application. Requests should be made before March 15 for returning students and before June 1 for new students.

meet the team Residence Life

Part of the Student Engagement Center

A professional staff member is always on call and available 24 hours a day.

Carmen Swafford headshot

Carmen Swafford

SEC Operations Coordinator

Sara Weinstein Headshot

Sara Weinstein, Ed.d

Assistant Dean of Students

Summie Bledsoe Headshot

Summie Bledsoe

Area Coordinator