Your bill/statement is shared electronically each semester, and can be viewed on the “Finances” tab of MyMaconWeb. 

Payment Methods

One-Time Electronic Payment

To make a secure one-time payment, login to Cashnet. Choose “Pay as Guest,” enter RMC Student ID # and Student’s Last Name. A convenience fee applies.

Electronic payment plans

Spread the cost of your semester payments over up to six months with a payment plan. Set your payment plan through MyMaconWeb and invite other authorized payers through Cashnet.

Payment plans for Fall open in March. Spring plans open in September. An enrollment fee to our partner, Cashnet, applies. 

pay by check

Send by U.S. Mail to:

Randolph-Macon College
Student Accounts
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, Virginia 23005-5505

Visit or send by courier service to:

Randolph-Macon College
Student Accounts
310 North Center Street
Ashland, Virginia 23005-5505

A secure overnight dropbox is located on front door at this address.

Billing FAQs

When is my statement available?

Statements are posted to MyMaconWeb prior to each semester.  Fall semester is available by the end of June and Spring semester by mid-December.

I am a student.  Where exactly do I find my statement?

Login to MMW, hover over Finances tab, Home, My Account, Generate my Course and Fee Statement

I am a parent.  How do I access my student’s statement?

Parent/guardians do not have automatic access to student accounts, due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). A student must proactively grant parent access to MyMaconWeb. To avoid late fees and/or being blocked from course registration due to non-payment on the account, we encourage students to grant parent access to account information. 

Once you are set up with permissions, log on to MyMaconWeb, click on the “Parent” tab, click on your student’s name under “View My Student” and then click on “Student Account Information” at the bottom-right of the page under “Financials” to access the “Course and Fee Statement.” Please contact our IT Department at if you do not remember your login information.

I am a student.  How do I grant my parent permission to the parent portal?

Login to MMW, hover on Academics tab, click on Student and then Set Parent Permissions/Define New Permissions. Follow the same steps for each parent you would like to add. 

Why isn’t financial aid (loans, awards) showing on my statement?

All Financial Aid paperwork must be completed before awards and/or loans will be posted to your account. Updates are posted weekly. If awards/loans are not reflected on your statement, review the needed steps. Further questions should be directed to

Why is there a hold on my account?

Unpaid balances are the primary reason for a hold being placed on a student account.

How do I get a copy of my 1098-T?

If eligible, 1098-T copies are found on MMW. Login to MMW, hover over Finances tab, Home, Financial Document Center. If there are none available, you were not eligible for one. 

Why can’t I access meals in campus dining areas?

You can find information about meal plans through Parkhurst. Further questions should be directed to