Randolph-Macon College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for the campus community.
The purpose of security and safety video monitoring is to enhance campus security and the safety of persons and property through electronic security patrol of campus areas, monitoring access to grounds and facilities, and assisting Campus Safety in criminal or misconduct investigations. This policy is intended to provide guidelines in the management, use and installation of security and safety video monitoring on college owned or controlled property.
- Any use of security and safety video monitoring must be managed in a professional, legal and ethical manner.
- Installation of any security and safety video monitoring equipment must be approved by the Director of Campus Safety and the Dean of Students.
- Purchase and installation of any security and safety video monitoring equipment will be coordinated through the Information Technology and Campus Safety Departments.
- All public areas are subject to security and safety video monitoring.
- Security and safety video monitoring will not occur in private areas such as restrooms, residence hall rooms, or locker rooms where individuals may have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
- Covert security and safety video monitoring may be used when Campus Safety determines that there has been a credible report of potential or actual misconduct or criminal behavior or in any areas deemed to be a high risk for such behavior.
- Information obtained through security and safety video monitoring may be used for security and law enforcement purposes and for compliance with College policy.
- Security and safety video monitoring will not be monitored in real time on a 24 hour / 7 day basis. The primary use of security and safety video monitoring will be to make recordings that can later be reviewed by Campus Safety to follow-up on reported incidents. The secondary use will be to enhance security patrols by allowing Campus Safety officers to periodically check on or remotely patrol a specific area.
- Release of information obtained through security and safety video monitoring will be in accordance with applicable law, and only upon approval of the Director of Campus Safety or the Dean of Students.
- Security and safety video monitoring recordings are considered records created by the Safety and Security unit of the College and thus exempt from FERPA.
- Only the Dean of Students or Director of Campus Safety will authorize user accounts.
- Security and safety video monitoring images will be safeguarded against tampering.
- As with all College policies, the College reserves the right to modify the guidelines herein if deemed necessary in the best interests of the College.