Resources for Students Earning/Earned AA or AS

No matter where you are in your pursuit of higher education, if you have earned/will earn an Associate in Arts or Science (AA or AS) from a regionally accredited institution, then we want to provide you with the support you need. The information below will take you from selecting a program to completing the admissions process.

Things You Should Know Before You Apply

  • We consider a transfer student to be anyone that earns a high school diploma and then enrolls at a college following graduation. We do not have a minimum number of required credits hours to be considered as a transfer student. Whether you have earned 0 or 75+ hours you are a transfer student.
  • To be considered for transfer admission you must be in good standing with your current/most recent college. This means you must be eligible to return to that institution for the semester you are applying for at R-MC.
  • To be considered for admission you must have a minimum cumulative college GPA (all work attempted at all colleges attended) of at least a 2.0.
  • We review all college-level coursework for transfer credit. We will let you know which courses will transfer and how they can be applied to your degree at R-MC. This evaluation takes place after admission and is performed by the Registrar’s Office.
  • We offer transfer scholarships!
  • Our offer of admission means we believe in you and your ability to pursue ANY of our majors, minors and/or pre-professional programs.

Students in the Process of Selecting an Associate of Arts or Science (AA or AS)

  • We currently have Guaranteed Admission Agreements with Reynolds Community College and Richard Bland College. If these options are open to you, then we encourage you to consider them. However, they are not the only pathways to R-MC. We have a solid history of working with students who are earning AA/AS from regionally accredited institutions. 
  • If you are not using a Guaranteed Admissions Agreement and are undecided on your major we recommend a Liberal Arts AA program. This degree offers exposure to a variety of academic topics and can provide solid preparation for many of our majors, minors and/or pre-professional programs.
  • Be proactive. The best time to ask for advice is BEFORE you enroll in courses. If you have selected your courses and want some honest insight, feel free to contact the R-MC Transfer Admissions Counselor, Jim Woods ( You can arrange a meeting before you begin a degree program and touch base before the start of each semester!

Students with an AA or AS have a Two-Step Admission Process

You have pursued a diverse course of study and earned enough hours for us to focus on your college transcripts. This means that you will not be required to submit high school transcripts or standardized test scores for the purpose of admission.

Students that have earned or will earn an AA/AS prior to enrolling at R-MC only have two steps to complete an application:

  1. Submit a completed application (R-MC application or Common Application) by May 1 (Fall semester) or December 1 (Spring semester). Please be sure to list any college you have ever attended, indicate that you intend to complete your AA/AS, and submit an essay that you are proud of.
  2. Submit official transcripts from any college(s) you have attended. You can do this one of two ways:
    1. By mail -
      Randolph-Macon College
      Office of Admissions
      PO Box 5005 
      Ashland, VA 23005
    2. Through a secure electronic delivery service (such as Safe-Scrip or Parchment) to  

Students Enrolled at a Virginia Community College

Students complete a variety of VCCS AA/AS programs and find that many of their courses transfer with them to R-MC. The VCCS Transfer Guide (PDF) is a resource that can be used to select courses that are eligible for transfer and meet R-MC curricular requirements.