FAQs for Transfers

Who are Transfer Students?

We consider a transfer student to be anyone that earns a high school diploma and then enrolls at a college following graduation. We do not have a minimum number of required credits hours to be considered as a transfer student. Whether you have earned 0 or 75+ hours you are a transfer student.

Am I eligible to be considered for admission as a transfer to Randolph-Macon?

To be considered for transfer admission you must be in good standing with your current/most recent college. This means you must be eligible to return to that institution for the semester you are applying to R-MC. Also, you must have a minimum cumulative college GPA (all work attempted at all colleges attended) of at least a 2.0.

How can I apply?

If you will have an associate degree before enrolling at Randolph-Macon, please submit the online application and have official college transcripts sent to us from all colleges attended. That’s it!

If you will not have an associate degree prior to enrolling at R-MC, please:

• submit the online application

R-MC Application or Common Application (No application fee for either)

• submit official college transcripts from all colleges attended
• submit official final high school transcripts or GED
• submit official SAT or ACT scores (Applicants who have graduated more than 5 years ago or have an AA/AS are not required to submit scores)

What are the deadlines?

• Spring Transfer, December 1 application deadline.
• Fall Transfer, June 1 application deadline.

How do I know which college credits will transfer to Randolph-Macon?

We review all college-level coursework for transfer credit. We will let you know which courses will transfer and how they can be applied to your degree at R-MC. This evaluation takes place after admission and is performed by the Registrar’s Office. Typically, credit for academic work completed elsewhere will be accepted from regionally accredited colleges and universities if the courses are appropriate to the academic curriculum of Randolph-Macon College and a grade of “C-“ or above is achieved, up to a maximum of 75 credits. At least half of the credits required to complete a student’s major must be completed at R-MC.  

Do grades transfer to Randolph-Macon College?

No, only course credit transfers to Randolph-Macon. The GPA you earned at any other accredited institution is relevant only for determining eligibility for admission.

Is financial aid available for transfer students?

R-MC has an array of aid programs from college, state and federal sources. To be considered for need-based aid, The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required. 

Are transfer scholarships available?

Yes! We have academic scholarships for our transfer students. If accepted, you will be automatically considered for our merit scholarships, no application is needed. 

Can I live on campus as a transfer student?

Yes! The college policy is for all students to live on campus, whether they are a new transfer or incoming freshman.  Exceptions include:

• Live with a parent and/or guardian within 35 miles of the college
• 23 years old or older
• Designated as a part-time student
• Approved through the Disability Support Services Office