Current News

From R-MC to Johns Hopkins: Nicole Minahan ’18

Jun 04, 2018

6/4/18

Nicole MinahanThis fall, Randolph-Macon College alumna Nicole Minahan '18 will begin the Master of Science in Nursing Entry into Nursing program at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. She can't wait to learn about the variety of specialties that the field of nursing offers.

Finding her Niche
Minahan, a biology major and religious studies minor, felt called to nursing after she started volunteering as a scribe at a local clinic during her freshman year. Then, during the summer between her sophomore and junior years, she earned a phlebotomy certification and volunteered as a phlebotomist.

When she shadowed nurses at Bon Secours Memorial Regional Hospital during her senior year, she knew beyond a doubt that nursing is her niche. "I witnessed the compassion and dedication that goes into the profession," she says. "The nurses I shadowed were supportive of their patients for both their medical and emotional needs. I found so much joy in helping patients, and I knew that I wanted a career in nursing."

Boot Camp
When she was a sophomore, Minahan attended Boot Camp, R-MC's two-day career preparation workshop. It was a pivotal experience.

"The mock interviews and the presentations from business leaders helped prepare me for real-life professional engagements," she says. Throughout her four years at R-MC, she also worked with staff from The Edge, the college's four-year career program. Medical Careers Coordinator Josh Quinn played a critical role in guiding Minahan through the nursing school application process.

"Nicole has been focused on her goal to work in health care throughout her time at R-MC," says Quinn. "She carefully developed and implemented a successful nursing school application plan, and I am confident she will continue to thoughtfully plan out beneficial care plans for all her future patients."

Campus Life
A recipient of the Dean's Award, Minahan is president of TriBeta (a national biology honor society) and a member of Chi Beta Phi (a national honorary scientific fraternity). In addition, she is a member of Theta Alpha Kappa (a national religious studies and theology honor society) and Rho Lambda (a national sorority leadership recognition society).

She learned how to be an effective leader thanks to R-MC's Leadership Fellows program, which blends theory with practical experiences. Minahan is also a member of the Pre-Health Society and Delta Zeta sorority.

"I have made wonderful connections with students who share similar passions and interests," she says of her participation in campus organizations and programs. "We come from different backgrounds, yet we work together toward common goals."

Family Ties
Minahan encouraged her younger sister, Sarah Minahan '21, to attend R-MC.

"One of the biggest reasons she decided to come to R-MC was because of all of the wonderful things I had to say about my professors. She loves that R-MC has faculty who genuinely care about students."

Travel Time
A January Term (J-term) study abroad trip to Dublin, Ireland was one of the highlights of Minahan's college career.

"This was unlike any other experience," she says. "It was amazing to learn about the writings that were sparked by the Irish Revolution, and to see the beauty of the countryside. I saw places I had read about, and I completely immersed myself in the culture of Ireland."

Alumni Connections
"R-MC's alumni network is incredible," says Minahan. "I have made wonderful connections with alumni who really want to help students succeed. I was fortunate to meet Susan Hubbard '76, executive director of the St. James the Less Free Clinic in Ashland and a dedicated alumna. I volunteered with Mrs. Hubbard at the clinic during the past four years and I would not be where I am today if it weren't for her mentorship and support."

On the day that she received her acceptance letter from Johns Hopkins, Minahan was volunteering at the clinic alongside Hubbard.

"Mrs. Hubbard knew about my acceptance before my parents did," says Minahan. "It was amazing to share  such a significant moment in my life with someone who did so much to help get me there."