Current News

A Passion for Chemistry: Lucy Andrews ’18

May 30, 2018

5/30/18

Lucy AndrewsWhen she started college, Randolph-Macon College alumna Lucy Andrews '18 was unsure about what major to choose. That changed when she took her first chemistry course.

"Professor Serge Schreiner helped me realize that I was a good fit for the chemistry major, and I cannot thank him enough," says Andrews. "Chemistry requires attention to detail, and Professor Schreiner helped me with the critical thinking and reasoning skills I needed to be successful in this field. In addition, the ability to apply what you learn in the classroom to your everyday life speaks volumes about the knowledge you have obtained. I love that chemistry applies to everything that I'm passionate about—medicine, biology, cooking, and the environment."

Next Stop: Graduate School
This August, Andrews will begin studies at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy, where she will pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) degree. Inspired by family members who have careers in pharmacy, Andrews likes the versatility that a pharmacy career offers.

"There is so much you can do besides working in a local pharmacy. Pharmacists are part of a group of professionals in the medical community who work together. I love the fact that everyone on the pharmacy team has something unique to offer."

Josh Quinn, medical careers coordinator for The Edge, R-MC's career preparation program, met with Andrews several times during the past four years, helping her prepare for pharmacy school interviews and walking her through the application process.

Quinn says, "Lucy was always willing to reach out to and assist both prospective and current students interested in pharmacy by answering questions about courses and the application process. I am sure that she will continue to be involved in multiple programs and community activities throughout pharmacy school and throughout her career."

Campus Life
A Presidential Scholarship recipient and member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, Andrews found her niche on campus by participating in a variety of activities and programs. She played for the lacrosse team; served as president of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and vice president of the Pre-health Society; presented her capstone research at the American Chemical Society Conference; studied abroad in Almeria, Spain, and was a mentor in the Higgins Academic Center (HAC).

"It was rewarding to be a HAC mentor and help my peers and watch them grow and succeed," she says. "Mentoring deepened my connections with other students and allowed me to give back to others while at the same time learning a lot about myself."

At Home in Ashland
Andrews' great-grandfather, Francis Lee Summers, was the football coach at R-MC in the 1930s, and her grandfather, Frank Lee Summers Jr., spent his childhood in Ashland.

"My grandfather always spoke fondly of Randolph-Macon," she says. "When I visited R-MC in the spring of my senior year of high school I felt completely at home. The campus was beautiful, everyone was so friendly, and I loved meeting the lacrosse team and coach. R-MC fit the bill for me: It's a DIII school with an amazing reputation for academic excellence and deeply-rooted ties to its alumni. The relationships I have with my professors, coaches and friends have made the past four years unforgettable."