Current News

Summer Internship: Phillip Mock ’16

Jul 24, 2015

student phillip mock at summer internshipThis summer, Randolph-Macon College student Phillip Mock '16 is gaining important career skills through an internship at LeClairRyan in Richmond, Virginia. The company provides business counsel and client representation in corporate law and litigation.

Getting The Edge
Mock, a business/economics and mathematics major, secured his internship with the help of staff from The Edge, R-MC’s four-year career preparation program that integrates academics with other resources to give students a competitive advantage with their careers or when applying to graduate school.

"I worked extensively with Cathy Rollman, director of professional development from The Edge program," says Mock. "She helped me initiate contact with the company and polish my résumé."  Under the guidance of Financial Planning and Analysis Manager Brian Haynes, Mock works on regression analysis and revenue analysis. He also assists with an accounts receivable collection project and with check reconciliations.

"Phillip has been helping us with numerous accounting and finance projects," says Haynes. "I hope that the experience he gains here will help prepare him for his future career." 

"My internship is providing me with real-world experience—something I can't get in the classroom," says Mock. "Gaining experience in a professional environment helps me realize my strengths and weaknesses and serves as a stepping-stone to my future."

The R-MC Experience

Mock, who chose R-MC in part because of its small class sizes, is especially grateful for the mentorship he’s received during his four years at R-MC.

"All of the professors at Randolph-Macon are great," says Mock, who hopes to find a job in the finance sector. "Professors George Lowry (business) and David Clark (mathematics) are especially wonderful. They are always available to help me, and I rely on them for academic advice. I'm very grateful for all that they have done to make my college career a success.” On campus, Mock is an active member of R-MC's intramural athletic program, Kappa Sigma fraternity, and the R-MC Concert Choir.

Internships
A vital part of the R-MC experience is experiential learning. Internships offer a real-world setting for connecting academic learning with the workplace. Internships allow students to explore a career path before committing to it; network, practice careers skills, and expand learning beyond the classroom; discover interests and capabilities; and make confident choices about the future.

Randolph-Macon offers a variety of internships to meet different student needs. Bassett (academic) internships allow students to earn academic credit through their internships and are open to juniors and seniors with a GPA of 2.25 or better. Volunteer/paid (non-academic) internships provide valuable experience in real-world work settings and are open to all R-MC students. R-MC also offers Disney College internships, and public service/nonprofit paid summer internships.