Current News

Summer Internship: Lauren Vugteveen ’16

Jul 08, 2015

female student at internshipThis summer, Randolph-Macon College student Lauren Vugteveen '16 is experiencing firsthand what it's like to work at an investment firm. Vugteveen, an accounting major and economics minor, is doing an internship at Heritage Wealth Advisors in Richmond, Virginia.

She secured the internship with the help of staff from The Edge, R-MC's four-year career preparation program that integrates academics with other resources to give students a competitive advantage with their careers or the graduate-school application process.

The Yellow Jacket Connection
R-MC's engaged alumni network is a valuable resource for R-MC students as they pursue undergraduate and post-graduate opportunities. Under the guidance of Senior Relationship Manager Marshall Chambers '06, Vugteveen is learning the finer points of tax services.

"My internship gives me invaluable experience—I am learning by doing," she says. In 2014 she did in internship as an internal auditor at King's Dominion; that experience, combined with her current internship, provide Vugteveen with a well-rounded set of skills she can use in her future career. At Heritage Wealth Advisors, she researches historical data; assists with business development; and is learning about financial planning and advising strategies. "Marshall helps me when I have questions," she says. "It's great to have a connection with someone who shares the Randolph-Macon experience."

Chambers, who majored in economics/business at R-MC, says, "Internships are an invaluable experience. Being able to provide students like Lauren real-world exposure makes her even more prepared for life after graduation. Lauren is a wonderful asset to Heritage, and we want to ensure she has a mutually beneficial experience."

Teamwork
Vugteveen, a member of the women's basketball team, knows the importance of teamwork.

"Through the basketball program, I have been involved with a lot of community service initiatives, including Macon a Difference Day and the annual Amateur Athletic Union youth camp, which is hosted by Women's Basketball Coach Carroll LaHaye. As an athlete, I've learned how to manage my time, be responsible and work with others—all skills I can transfer to my internship and beyond."

Future Plans
After she graduates from R-MC, Vugteveen plans to get her Certified Public Accountant certification and use her accounting skills at a small firm—an environment that suits her personality.

"A smaller workplace makes it easier for me to focus not only pm my work, but on my relationships with colleagues," she says. "During my internship at Heritage Wealth Advisors, I've learned new skills, and at the same time I've established great connections with my colleagues." Vugteveen has that same connection with her professors.

"Accounting Professor Cathy Staples has been more than a teacher to me," she says. "She is always willing to help, whether it comes to class material or career questions. She takes time out of her schedule to give students one-on-one attention. Her dedication is just one of the things that make Randolph-Macon College so special." 

Internships
A vital part of the R-MC experience is experiential learning. Internships offer a real-world setting for connecting academic learning with the workplace. Internships allow students to explore a career path before committing to it; network, practice careers skills, and expand learning beyond the classroom; discover interests and capabilities; and make confident choices about the future.

Randolph-Macon offers a variety of internships to meet different student needs. Bassett (academic) internships allow students to earn academic credit through their internships and are open to juniors and seniors with a GPA of 2.25 or better. Volunteer/paid (non-academic) internships provide valuable experience in real-world work settings and are open to all R-MC students. R-MC also offers Disney College internships, and public service/nonprofit paid summer internships.