R-MC Profiles in Politics - Zachary Spaeth ’14

Aug 22, 2014

Zachary Spaeth '14Since its inception in 1830, Randolph-Macon College has had a rich history of political engagement. The exchange of ideas, sharing of opinions and interest in public service continues today with our faculty, students and alumni. Randolph-Macon's Profiles in Politics series highlights just some of R-MC’s alumni who work in politics, government and public service.  

Zachary Spaeth ’14 

Government Affairs & Grassroots Advocacy 

Working as an associate at Miller/Wenhold Capitol Strategies, LLC, Zachary Spaeth ’14 spends his time as an advocate for transportation and environmental organizations, along with championing small businesses. 

Focus on Capitol Hill

Meetings, networking and representing clients are part of Spaeth’s day-to-day activities in Washington, D.C. His responsibilities include talking to government and business representatives on Capitol Hill and explaining his clients’ issues in a manner that makes them easy to understand. 

Spaeth majored in German and political science. In addition to classes, he used his time at R-MC to focus on three main areas to prepare for life after graduation: research skills and writing, public speaking, and networking. 

Early Interest in Politics

According to Spaeth, it was a combination of events that set him on the path of politics. He cites an AP Governments and Politics course as his favorite class in high school. Then in his freshman year at R-MC, he co-founded the Young Democrats Club and helped organize events for the group. 

“After a few months…I realized my passion for political science and the political process in the U.S. I came to the conclusion that this is where my future should be,” Spaeth says. 

The Randolph-Macon Experience

Spaeth credits his liberal arts education as key to helping him succeed in such a short amount of time. 

“Because of the general education requirements, I took classes on the environmentreligionmath, and so much more. A lot of my work is focused on briefings or committee hearings on Capitol Hill, and it is amazing to me that I understand a lot of what is going on because of my diverse educational background,” says Spaeth. 

Read more about politics in Randolph-Macon’s history.