Resources for Travelers

For traveling students and their loved ones:

There are many people involved in your study abroad experience at all levels, here at Randolph-Macon College, and in the case of semester abroad, your host university and often a study abroad program provider as well. At every level, your well-being is our top priority, and trained staff are continually monitoring multiple sources of information to ensure your well-being.

We urge you to pay close attention to all information regarding your health and safety that is shared during orientations at R-MC and your host university, to read any alerts you receive through the U.S. State Department’s STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program), Randolph-Macon or other sources, and to know who to contact in case of an emergency. Communication is a key to alleviating concern, so we appreciate prompt replies to messages you receive from the Office of International Education. Please also discuss with your loved ones how often and by what means you plan to communicate with them.

A Parent Guide to Study Abroad

This comprehensive guide in English or Spanish is made available for download, free of charge, by the Institute for International Education (IIE).

How to apply for a U.S. passport

U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website

A treasure trove of info for world travelers, including Before You Go, While Abroad, and detailed information about your destination (customs, laws, visa requirements, health & safety, and more). Another section of the State Department website lists travel alerts and travel warnings worldwide. 

Mobility USA

Mobility USA is an organization dedicated to 'a world of equal opportunity' and provides inspiration, information, and practical suggestions to make travel accessible for anyone with disabilities. 

Smart Traveler Enrollment Plan (STEP)

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. In case of emergency, the information you provide helps the Embassy reach you and communicate with your loved ones. In addition, anyone can sign up to receive alerts.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

The CDC provides current information for travelers to every destination around the globe: how to stay healthy, medications & vaccines, things you might want to take with you, and more.

List of U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide

In case of an emergency overseas, contact the U.S. embassy in country, or Overseas Citizens Services, Washington, D.C., 888-407-4747 (toll-free U.S. and Canada), +1 202-501-4444 (from overseas).

The State Department will not release private information about U.S. travelers without their consent. In an emergency, this can prevent the State Department from sharing information with your loved ones, especially if you are unable to communicate. If you would like to grant permission for the State Department to communicate with specific individuals, complete the form at the link, print and sign it and carry it with you as you travel.