J-Term Study/Travel

How would you like to spend one month each year, the month of January, doing something that could change your life?

What about earning Psychology credits for studying comparative animal behavior in Florida or satisfying a Spanish language requirement in the land of Don Quixote? A world of possibilities is yours at Randolph-Macon, and January Term is the perfect time to explore some of them. The January Term Study/Travel Courses are challenging, exciting academic and intercultural experiences. You'll finish the term with experience on your resume, credit on your transcript and the memories of a grand adventure!


A $100 non-refundable deposit is required for registration; at the same time, students must also submit a signed (student's signature) add-form to the Registrar’s Office to be added to the course.


J-Term pictureAll J-term study/travel courses have costs in addition to R-MC’s tuition, room, and board. Costs vary but usually cover airfare, lodging, meals, and ground transportation overseas. Prices listed here are approximate and do not typically include passports, visas or vaccinations. J-term study/travel costs will be billed separately from your fall tuition bill. See the deposit/payment deadlines

Class Level

No minimum grade point average (GPA) or year in college is required for participation in J-term study/travel courses.


If a course has a prerequisite, a note to that effect appears on the course listing. Students must obtain the instructor’s signature for the courses that state “Permission of Instructor” or that have an asterisk (*) before the course title. See the course listing or course descriptions in Academic Catalogs for more details.

Contact the Instructors

Faculty members hold organizational meetings and orientation sessions with students, sometimes months before travel courses begin. So if you are interested in a study/travel course, contact the faculty member teaching the class and let him or her know you plan to take it so you can be kept informed.


In addition to meetings required by the Instructor, students are strongly encouraged to attend a pre-departure orientation session conducted by the Office of International Education (OIE) during the Fall semester.


Students whose conduct is disruptive of a study/travel course may be sent home at their own expense. In such cases, the student will fail the course and will not receive a refund.

On-Campus Phase     

Classes meet on campus before and/or after the time abroad.


All participants must complete a set of forms distributed by the OIE in the fall. Those who fail to submit the forms will not be allowed to participate and will lose any deposits and payments.

J-Term trip

Need-based Scholarships 

R-MC students that have submitted a FAFSA to the Financial Aid Office are eligible to apply for a J-Term Need-based Travel Scholarship for funds to help cover the cost of study/travel courses (however, recipients may not apply J-term scholarship awards toward the 50% of fee due August 1). The J-Term Scholarship Application is available through the Office of International Education. Visit our J-term study/travel payment & scholarship page for more information. 


Each participant traveling outside the U.S. must have a passport, valid for at least 6 months after the end of the J-term study/travel course.


Required to enter some countries. For details, contact the course instructor or visit travel.state.gov.


Generally, J-term study/travel courses are 3 credit R-MC classes; however, some courses are 4 credit hours. Please see the Academic Catalog for details. 

Cancellation and Refund Policy

Visit the J-term study/travel section on the OIE’s website.