The Office of Disability Services (DS) will review requests for housing and dining accommodations for students with disabilities. If reasonable housing accommodations cannot be immediately satisfied due to capacity, facility design, availability, etc., the Office of Residence Life will prioritize these requests before handling others as resources become available. 

Housing/Dining Accommodation Requests

  1. Students should complete the Housing/Dining Accommodation Application. Requests should be made before March 15 for returning students and before June 1 for new students.
  2. Appropriate disability documentation should be submitted with the Housing/Dining Accommodation Application for students making their first housing/dining accommodation request or a different housing/dining accommodation request then was previously approved by DS. Practitioners should complete the appropriate verification form below: 
  3. Students requesting dining accommodations should meet with the Director of Dining Services to discuss their needs prior to submitting any dining accommodation requests. Completing this meeting is required for those requesting dining accommodations. 

Returning Students Requesting Housing/Dining Accommodations 

Disability housing/dining accommodation requests must be renewed every academic year. Returning students who are requesting the same housing/dining accommodation(s) that were previously approved by Disability Service should submit a Housing/Dining Accommodation Application annually. However, they do not need to submit additional disability documentation or participate in additional consultations with Dining Services unless contacted directly by Disability Services staff. 

Considerations When Evaluating Accommodation Requests 

Requests for disability housing/dining accommodations will be reviewed by Disability Services and Residence Life staff. Disability Services staff may consult with other appropriate officials as needed, including representatives from Counseling Services, Student Health Center, Physical Plant, Dining Services, Registrar’s Office, Higgins Academic Center, Dean’s Office, and outside legal and medical consultants. Additionally, College officials may need to speak to off-campus diagnostician as needed.

Requests for housing/dining accommodation are reviewed carefully. The following factors are considered when evaluating requests:  

Severity of the Condition

  • Is the impact of the condition life threatening if the request is not met?
  • Is there a negative health impact that may be permanent if the request is not met?
  • Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan for the condition in question?
  • What is the likely impact on academic performance if the request is not met?
  • What is the likely impact on social development if the request is not met?
  • What is the likely impact on the student’s level of comfort if the request is not met?

Timing of the Request

  • Was the request made before March 15th (returning students) and June 1st (new students)?
  • Was the request made as soon as possible after identifying the need? (Based on date of diagnosis, receipt of housing assignment, change in status, etc.)

Feasibility and Availability

  • Are there other dining options or housing configurations that would achieve similar benefits as the requested adjustment/accommodation?
  • Is space available that meets the student’s needs?
  • Can space be adapted to provide the requested configuration without creating a safety hazard?
  • How does meeting this request impact housing commitments to other students?

Rooming in a Specific Building or With Friends

If a student would like to request to be housed with or near friends or in a specific location on campus, they may submit your request separately to Residence Life. Please keep in mind decisions made by DS are only for the student making the request, are based on disability-related needs, and are determined on a case-by-case basis. Determinations do not include students without disabilities, and do not circumvent the regular housing selection process.

Appeal Process

A student who is dissatisfied with the decision made by DS (i.e. does not believe that the housing assignment or denial of a dining accommodation request accommodates the student’s disability or in some way endangers the student’s safety or health) may file a written appeal to:

Dr. Grant Azdell
Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005

Be sure to include any supporting documentation. Said appeal shall be filed with the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students within ten (10) days from the date of receipt of the original decision by DS. The Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students shall make a written determination within thirty (30) days from the date the appeal is received. The decision of the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of students shall be final.