$1.25 million was raised to construct Walter Hines Page Library, Haley Hall, and
An honors program, a fine arts requirement, and an added foreign language requirement
were added to the curriculum.
The college acquired an IBM 1620 computer and became a pioneer in digital computation
among small colleges.
Luther W. White III '49 became president of the college. There were 800 students
and 75 faculty members.
The Department of Computer Science was established.
The Yellow Jacket football team became the NCAA Eastern College Divisional champions
by winning the Knute Rockne Bowl. The Quest Campaign, to raise $5 million for a
science building and student union, was kicked off.
Following the student shootings at Kent State University, the R-MC faculty agreed
to allow students to postpone their final exams without penalty so they could participate
in anti-war activities.
The college officially became coeducational with the enrollment of 50 women. (Women
had been day students at the college since the late 1890s, when local female students
were allowed to attend.) B. J. Seymour joined the faculty as the first full-time
female faculty member. She was also the first woman to attain tenure, chair a department,
and be granted the rank of full professor.
The Frank E. Brown Campus Center opened to unanimous praise from students and staff.
Penny Tweedy, owner of triple-crown winner Secretariat, told an R-MC audience that
because the college was a beneficiary of her father's (Christopher T. Chenery) estate,
Randolph-Macon was a part-owner of the famous horse.
Contents | Next