Students and alumni raised $100,000 for construction of a new gymnasium (now known
as Alumni Gym).
Omicron Delta Kappa, the national leadership society, was installed on campus.
President Blackwell died; Dr. S. C. Hatcher served as president during 1938-39.
J. Earl Moreland assumed the Randolph-Macon College presidency, remaining in the
position until 1953. The student body numbered 307 with 20 faculty members.
Naval Aviation cadets were sent to Randolph-Macon for preliminary flight training.
The Army created a Specialized Training Program on campus, using college faculty
$1 million was raised for a building fund by Dr. Moreland and loyal Methodist ministers,
resulting in a new dining hall, Fox Hall, Smithy Hall, and Blackwell Auditorium.
There was a major revision of the curriculum. Students were to follow a planned
course of study for the first two years and take electives and major courses the
second two years.
Contents | Next