Professor Robert Emory Blackwell was elected president and held the position until
his death in 1938. He entered Randolph-Macon at the age of 14 as a member of the
first student body in Ashland. Except for one year of study in Europe, he spent
70 years on campus as a student, instructor, professor, and president.
Randolph-Macon was elected to membership in the Southern Association of Colleges
and Secondary Schools.
A seven-year struggle over ownership of the college began between the Virginia Conference
of the Methodist Church and college trustees. Rice Warren, a star end at the University
of Virginia, came to Randolph-Macon as director of athletics, marking the beginning
of expert coaching of intercollegiate athletics at the college.
U.S. President Taft stopped his train in Ashland to intercede on behalf of the Randolph-Macon
students who had been banned by the faculty from attending a state championship
The bachelor of science degree was first awarded.
Presidential candidate Woodrow Wilson stopped his train in Ashland and delivered
a 20-minute address to faculty and students.
Chi Beta Phi, the national science honor society, was founded on the Randolph-Macon
The campus became a camp of the Student Army Corps, with the student body serving
as a corps.
A Carnegie Corporation gift funded construction of a library (now Peele Hall).
Phi Beta Kappa recognition was given to Randolph-Macon.
Randolph-Macon awarded its last M.A. degree.
Contents | Next