Pace Hall was constructed at a cost of $11,000, most of which was donated by James
P. Pace, a trustee of the college.
President Duncan died and was succeeded by the Rev. W. W. Bennett.
Duncan Memorial Church and Chapel (now Old Chapel) opened. The college occupied
the first floor and the church sanctuary was on the second floor.
William Waugh Smith became the college's president and served until 1897.
Randolph-Macon became the first southern college to develop biology as a distinct
study. Physical education became a regular part of the curriculum and was required
of all students. The college opened a gymnasium, the first college building in the
South to be used exclusively as a gym.
Pettyjohn Science Hall opened.
Students were housed in cottages � square, two-story, frame buildings with four
rooms per floor. Rooms were heated by stoves, and many students sawed their own
wood. Students studied by kerosene lamps and got their water from a large pump on
campus. There was no indoor plumbing.
John A. Kern became the college's president.
W. G. Starr became college president and served until 1902.
Contents | Next