The School of Modern Languages was added to the curriculum.
Operation of the college was suspended until 1866 because of the effects of the
Col. Thomas C. Johnson was elected as the college's president when the school reopened.
He found limited resources and a rural location not served by railroads. Because
new Methodist colleges had been established in North Carolina, South Carolina, and
Georgia, these states had withdrawn their support from Randolph-Macon.
The trustees purchased 13 acres in Ashland for $10,000; the RF&P Railroad gave
the college several parcels of land, and Randolph-Macon moved from Boydton to Ashland,
Va. The railroad moved the college's property at no cost and gave free tickets to
faculty members. The college reopened on its new campus with 67 students. The Rev.
James A. Duncan was president.
Fraternity life began with the establishment of a Kappa Alpha chapter.
The college added a full four-year School of English.
Washington and Franklin Hall was completed at a cost of $12,954. The student body,
led by Jordan Wheat Lambert, raised $7,093 of that amount.
Contents | Next