THEN: During the 1899-1900 academic year, the college employed only one professor in each of the following areas: English and French, pure and applied mathematics, Latin, moral philosophy and the English Bible, biology and physics, Greek and German, history and economics, and chemistry and geology. Assisting the president in running the college were a vice president, a director of physical culture (physical education), a secretary/treasurer, the college physician, and the chaplain. (Right: Professor Blackwell with family and students.)
NOW: Ninety full-time faculty are on board this year, and 48 other faculty engage in part-time teaching. Ninety percent of the full-time faculty have earned doctoral or the highest earned degrees in their fields. Today's president has the assistance of several senior administrators - the vice president for academic affairs, the dean of students, the dean of admissions and financial aid, the treasurer, and the vice president for development.
Previous | Contents | Next