One hundred years ago, the college offered two degrees, bachelor of arts and master
of arts. At the June 1900 Commencement, 17 bachelor of arts degrees and 5 master
of arts degrees were awarded. The bachelor of arts course was arranged to meet the
growing demand for a practical, well-rounded education, and required the completion
of three or more sciences and three foreign languages, without much room for electives.
It offered the students an excellent preparation for either business life or professional
study. (The bachelor of science degree was first awarded in 1915 and the college
eliminated its master of arts degree after 1924.)
NOW: The college conferred 228 Bachelor of Arts
and Bachelor of Science degrees at the 168th Commencement on May 27, 2000.
Contents | Next