The growth of an independent office of admissions typified the growth of the administration
generally. In 1938, there were a president, a treasurer, and their two secretaries.
Even Blackwell did not devote all his time to his office, since he regularly taught
classes when in good health. Dean Hall Canter taught a full course load, so his
duties as dean were only occasional. The trustees had expected Moreland to teach
at least one course when he was hired to be president, as he did himself, but the
press of business made that impossible. After the Second World War the administrative
officers were the president, treasurer, dean, and registrar; the treasurer and dean
were also full-time teachers. By the mid-1950s, there were still as few as six administrators,
some of whom still taught as well. (There were two deans by then-one of the faculty,
one of students-and an assistant to the president.) The lack of office space probably
accounts for this modest growth. Lodged in quarters of their own after the conversion
of the library, the administrators budded and branched to correspond with the growing
numbers of students. By 1967, there were eleven chief administrative officers, plus
thirty-two minions, secretaries, and sundry house carls. None of these lists count
the librarian, a position with faculty status, nor the college physician, nor the
anonymous and essential corps of maintenance men, who keep the school running.
A rise in the corps of instruction followed the growth of the student body. Only
at the end of the Blackwell era-1937-did sociology, in the person of J. Paul McConnell,
make its appearance. Between the wars, the faculty remained virtually the same size
and remarkably identical in personnel. In 1946-47, there were twenty-four members
of the teaching faculty (not counting physical education). Of these, nine had been
on the staff before 1926, and six more had been hired between 1930 and 1940. Of
the twenty-four, twelve were alumni of the college, and an additional seven came
from colleges within the state (three of whom graduated from the University of Richmond).
Only two of the twenty-four came from northern schools: Wesleyan and Lehigh. Thirteen
of the faculty had earned doctorates. Of the twenty-four, just one-third (eight)
had entered the service of the college in 1946 with the expansion of the student
By the mid-fifties, the faculty had grown to thirty-nine. The proportion of alumni
and doctorates (or equivalent) remained about the same. Nineteen alumni were on
the faculty, and there were twenty-one men with doctorates.
The end of the Moreland presidency (1967) saw a faculty of fifty-five full-time
teachers, half of whom (twenty-seven) had the doctorate or equivalent. The proportion
of alumni had fallen to under half: nineteen. Half of all the faculty had come to
the college since 1959. The large proportion of relatively new members of the faculty
may have contributed to the willingness of the faculty to change a curriculum that
had been in place since 1947. Interestingly enough, when the curriculum was last
changed, in 1946, half of the faculty had been at the college for about the same
length of time, eight years.
Previous | Contents |
Reprinted from Professor James Scanlon's Randolph-Macon College: A Southern History