Current News

SERVE: Fundraiser Benefits Hanover Humane Society

Sep 29, 2017

11/2/17

SpikeballRandolph-Macon College students regularly engage in community service, giving back to others with their time, energy and talent.

The SERVE (Students Engaged in Responsible Volunteer Experiences) program is just one way that students can help others. SERVE provides students with opportunities for volunteerism, service-learning, and leadership development.
R-MC students also engage in community service in conjunction with fraternities, sororities, and campus clubs and organizations.

Spikeball Competition Nets Rewards
On October 22, 2017, two of R-MC's fraternity chapters—Theta Chi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon—collaborated on a fundraiser to benefit the Hanover Humane Society. Dozens of students donated money to play Spikeball, a modified version of volleyball, on Blincoe Field next to Andrews Hall. Hanover Humane Society President Elizabeth Mancano and General Director Chick Utley were also on hand to help out and enjoy the fun.

"I was so impressed with this group of young men—that they would take time out of their weekend to do this was just terrific," says Mancano. "I'm especially pleased that R-MC encourages students to become involved with local organizations. Students are making an impact that will outlast their time at Randolph-Macon."

Utley says, "This was a great experience for me. I got to witness a bunch of guys who were interested in helping HHS while having a little fun competing against each other. There were no 'cutthroat' teams—everyone was there to have fun, raise money for a good cause, and enjoy a great afternoon."

Teamwork
Political science and philosophy major Baxter Carter '18 is a member of Theta Chi who helped organize the event.

"We had a total of 12 teams, all of whom paid to play, and many others contributed by purchasing event shirts," says Carter. "In all, we raised more than $300 for the Hanover Humane Society." The members of Theta Chi wanted a philanthropy that would make a meaningful impact, explains Carter. "We also wanted to work with an organization that could join us during our fundraiser. We are thankful that Ms. Mancano and Mr. Utley from the Hanover Humane Society helped make the event so successful!"

Rewarding Experiences
"I have many great opportunities," says Carter. "I am able to attend Randolph-Macon and get a world-class education, and I have the support of my family. It is important that those who are fortunate make the time to serve their community. Service events are some of the most rewarding and meaningful experiences I have been a part of at R-MC."

Theta Chi members regularly give back to others.

Earlier this year, the fraternity held a donut sale to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Harvey. Theta Chi will also participate in the Big Event, which takes place November 5, and they are setting their sights on Macon a Difference Day, which takes place in spring 2018.

Dylan Thompson '19, a psychology major, is president of R-MC's SAE chapter.

"Service is important to me because it gives me the opportunity to give back to people—and, in this case—animals, too," he says. "I am from a limited-opportunity background and I have had people 'invest' in me to help me get where I am today. Continuing that process by helping others just seems like the right thing to do. Seeing the enjoyment on the faces of the people that we help is a huge reward."

Giving Back
In 2016-17, R-MC students collectively amassed more than 17,000 volunteer hours and donated $47,075 to various causes. Students in Fraternity and Sorority Life contributed more than 10,049 hours of collective service to the community and donated nearly $27,683 to various organizations and philanthropies. In addition, $14,000 was raised and donated to the American Cancer Society from the annual Relay for Life.

Over 300 students participated R-MC's second Big Event, a day of service to give thanks to the Ashland community. The Students Engaged in Responsible Volunteer Experiences (SERVE) program, in the Office of Student Life, is an integral part of Randolph-Macon College.