Current News

On Her Way to Medical School: Kristin Patrick ’17

May 26, 2017

5/27/17

student Kristin PatrickRandolph-Macon College student Kristin Patrick '17 has always loved the sciences. And now the biology major and chemistry, mathematics and French minor is looking forward to the next phase of her life: medical school. This fall, Patrick will begin classes at The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, which has an Early Selection Program agreement with R-MC.

From Classroom to Internship
Patrick, a Presidential Scholarship recipient, followed a pre-med track at R-MC, getting career advice, and hands-on training, in preparation for medical school and an eventual career in pediatric medicine. At an internship at Numotion, a Baltimore, Maryland company that specializes in making custom wheelchairs, she learned that quality patient care is the sum of many parts.

"My internship showed me that patient care requires the collaboration of many different medical professionals," says Patrick, who shadowed Assistive Technology Professionals (ATPs) as she learned how to determine what type of wheelchair is best for a patient.

She also worked closely with Josh Quinn, the associate director of professional development and medical careers for The Edge, R-MC's four-year career program. With Quinn's help, she created a résumé, decided on which pre-med courses to take at R-MC, and prepared for her medical-school interview. "Josh helped me tremendously," she says. "He encouraged me, gave me great advice, and did mock interviews with me."

Quinn says, "I knew when Kristin excitedly jumped in to practice on a simulation mannequin during a visit to the GW Medical School that she had chosen the right path. She has consistently sought out and engaged in activities at Randolph-Macon College and beyond that will make her an excellent medical student, and a great physician."

The R-MC Experience
Patrick has been an active member of the R-MC community. She is a member of the lacrosse team, Leadership Fellows, Pre-health Society, Phi Beta Kappa Society, Pi Mu Epsilon National Honorary Mathematics Society, Beta Beta Beta Biological Society, Chi Beta Phi National Science Honorary Society, and the Phi Lambda Upsilon national chemistry society. She also served as a calculus and biology tutor in the Higgins Academic Center, and she expanded her horizons by studying abroad in Chambéry, France at the Université de Savoie, where she took classes in French language and culture.

Patrick also participated in R-MC's unique Schapiro Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) project, which offers students 10 weeks of research under the guidance of a faculty member. Working under the mentorship of Biology Professor Melanie Gubbels Bupp, Patrick researched the effects of malnutrition on the immune system.

"As a researcher, I gained valuable lab experience and learned more about the immune system. I learned about T cell signaling pathways and how this pathway is disrupted under the stress of malnutrition. Professor Gubbels Bupp was an excellent mentor. I am so thankful to all my professors, and I made lifelong friends," says Patrick of her R-MC experience. "Being a Yellow Jacket has given me memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life."