Current News

From Internship to Career: Kelsie Grice ’17

May 24, 2017

5/24/17

Kelsie-Grice-1"My advice to new Yellow Jackets is to take everything in, and take advantage of all opportunities," says Randolph-Macon College student Kelsie Grice '17. She speaks from experience.
A business major and economics minor, Grice played tennis for the Yellow Jackets, completed two internships, and studied abroad.

She also served as a resident assistant, was a member of Service Fellows, and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Epsilon, and Omicron Delta Kappa. And since March 2017, she has been working as a financial analyst at Genworth Financial in Richmond, Virginia.

Getting The Edge
Grice learned early in her college career that The Edge, R-MC's four-year career preparation program, is a great resource for students.

"I met with Cathy Rollman, director of professional development for The Edge, before going on my job interview at Genworth," says Grice, who also worked with staff from The Edge to create a résumé. "She gave me great advice and offered tips to help me distinguish myself from other candidates."

From Intern to Financial Analyst
Grice gained valuable hands-on experience by participating in two internships. At the Hanover County Circuit Court House, Grice interned for a Civil Court Judge, working closely with courthouse personnel to prepare court paperwork and case files. As a financial analyst intern for Rabobank N.A., a California community-based bank, she interned in the Real Estate Investment Group.

"It was an amazing experience at Rabobank," she says. "I learned so much from my managers, and the experience inspired me to consider working as a financial analyst, which I am doing now. I look forward to continuing to learn and grow with Genworth," she says.

Community + Mentorship
The best part about being a Yellow Jacket, says Grice, is the sense of community at R-MC.

"The one-on-one connections with faculty, and having the opportunity to make a difference on campus—through the Service Fellows for example—was something that appealed to me when I first toured the school, and it still resonates today," she says. Her professors, especially those in the Economics/Business department, have helped Grice make the most of her college career.

"Economics/Business Professor Edward Showalter has been my advisor since freshman year, and he has been a constant resource and mentor," she says.

Showalter says, "I've had Kelsie in at least one course each of her four years at R-MC, including our department's January Term travel course to Wroxton, England. Kelsie has always been a great student and a pleasure to work with. Her dedication, curiosity, and smile have been constant since her first class, and she has embodied R-MC’s mission statement of 'developing the mind and character' of each of our students."