Quantcast

R-MC General History

R-MC General History (Pre-1939)

Collection Contents

Academic/Administration:

  • Faculty Minutes 1835-53; 1889-1928
  • Information on R-MC postmasters
  • Summer School for Pastors – 1923
  • Certificates, Progress Reports
  • Debating, 1900-1924
  • English Department – History; author unknown, ~1993-4
  • Biology Department – History; by Jane Trevvett, ~1940
  • R-MC History - Sciences at... (by Ira Updike 1939)
  • Enrollment 1860-1939
  • Minutes of Board of Directors Meetings – Randolph Macon Monthly 1888-1900

Financial Records:

  • Cash Receipts Ledger  - 1934-35, 1937-38, 1938-40, 1940-42
  • Cash Disbursements Ledger – 1931-34, 1934-35, 1937-39
  • Vaughan Memorial Aid and Loan Fund – 1899-1901
  • Fee Book – 1873, 1874-75
  • General Accounts Ledgers – 1894-1900, 1897-1902, 1889, 1912-14, 1927-31, 1929-33,
  • Cancelled checks & invoices – December 1928 – 1947 (incomplete)
  • R-MC Bond Ledger 1892-1894
  • R-MC Athletic Association Journal 1936-1938
  • R-MC Physical Education Ledger 1938-1939
  • R-MC “Proctor & Treasurer’s Book” 1882-83

Randolph Macon Academy and Randolph Macon Institute Record Books:

  • Commencement Programs, 1854-1942                              
  • Invitations, 1854-1942

Library:

  • “Walton Greek Library” journal 1885
  • Library journal listing book borrowers 1890
  • Library journal listing book borrowers 1897-98
  • Library Book Accession journal 1911-12
  • Library Record Book August 1923 through April 1934

College Roll 1900-1901

Roll of Students 1907-1908

Class Roll 1927-1928

Exams:

  • English 1920-1921,1922-1923,1923-1924,1924-1925
  • Greek 1875, French 1883, English 1881, English 1882
  • English, German, and French exams 1878-1902

Gradebooks:

  • (German and Latin) 1871-1872
  • (English and French) 1876-1892
  • (English and Greek) 1875,1882,-1883
  • (English) 1881
  • (English, French, and German) 1884-1885 and 1886
  • (English and French)  1889
  • (English and French) 1890-1891
  • (French and English) 1891-1892
  • (English and French) 1893,1894,1895
  • (French and English) 1894-1900
  • (English and French) 1900-1905
  • (English) 1908-1909 and 1909-1910
  • (English) 1911-1912 and 1912-1913
  • (English) 1913-1915
  • (English) 1916,1917,1918,1919, and 1926-1927
  • (English) for 1934-1938

Chapel:

  • Chapel records 1916,1917,1918,1919, and 1926-1927
  • Chapel Roll 1913-1914
  • Chapel Roll
  • Chapel Roll 1911-1912 and 1912-1913
  • Chapel Roll 1821-1822 and Chapel Roll 1920-1921
  • Chapel Roll 1924-1925
  • Chapel Roll 1915-1916
  • Chapel Record 1905-1906, 1906-1907
  • Chapel Roll 1915-1916
  • Chapel Record 1905-1906, 1906-1907
  • Chapel Roll 1923-1924
  • Chapel Roll 1927-1928

Alumni:

  • Alumni – Pre-1939
  • Alumni Photographs
  • Alumni in Who’s Who (to 1930)
  • Alumni Reunions
  • Alumni Sketches

Board of Trustees:

  • Partial Index to Trustee Minutes 1866-1879
  • Index to Trustee Minutes 1866-1909
  • R-MC Trustee Minutes 1866 – 1969

1880 Old Duncan Memorial (Chapel) – Letter from President W.W. Bennett (1880 and copy of “this Deed” – both in “DEEDS (1884) Duncan memorial Building, Ashland Station and other documents (1921 (1934))

Buildings, Campus, Artifacts

Contracts, Agreements, Deeds, and Wills

Contracts:

  • 1868- Ashland Hotel 1868; 1872- Deed;1884; (includes map)
  • 1888- Peter T. Bowles, Contractor  (Contract to Build a new Campus Building)
  • 1893- Cary and Claxton (Coupon Bond) Trustees RMC and Turnbull
  • 1906- Artesian Well Agreement
  • 1908-1961- Virginia Electric and Power Company
  • 1936- Johnson Stoke Co. and R-MC Trustees (for installation of Auburn Stoker)

Deeds:

  • 1830- B. Sydnor to R-MC (Boydton)
  • 1831- William Townes to R-MC (Boydton)
  • 1832- James Machlin to R-MC (Boydton)
  • 1833- James Bruce to R-MC (Boydton)
  • 1850- Deed: John Daly and RMC Pres. John Early
  • 1868- Richmond, Fredericksburg and Petersburg Railroad Company
  • 1871-R-MC to W. J. Leake
  • 1872- Winn to William A. Shepard   (Francis and Helena Prange; Joseph Pleasants)
  • 1874- William A Shepard Memorial Fund (includes Morgan, R.B. Davis et al. 1900)
  • 1879 & 1886- Lambert to Thomas A. Bagwell Jr.; Hill Carter to Thomas Bagwell
  • 1883 & 1886- Alexander Donner and John Mann (Trustees) to R-MC (Mentions Stebbing, 1866 land and Todd)
  • 1884 & 1934- Duncan Memorial “Building”
  • 1921-Duncan Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, South(w/attached map)
  • 1884-1902- R-MC to W. L. Cowardin; William H. McCarthy to R-MC
  • 1887- R-MC Trustees to Clinton Winston 1885–1888 - Thomas H. Bagwell Jr (w/correspondence) 1893- H. Ashton Ellett 1893- Richard Ferguson (includes application for purchase of delinquent lands)
  • 1911- Mattie P. Jordan
  • 1918- R-MC and the Town of Ashland (Patrick Street Property)
  • 1918- Anita Blincoe et al. (including brief of title)
  • 1923- T. Parkin Scott et al; estate of Caroline A. Scott (1923)
  • 1928-1937- Frank Day to R-MC; addition to the Athletic Field – Day Field
  • 1934- R-MC Trustees to Duncan Memorial Church and L.R. Hartsook
  • 1938-  Front Royal Academy Property (Deed of Trust)

Wills and Legacies:

  • 1883 & 1894- Rev. J. D. Lumsden (w/ codicil) to R-MC and Preacher’s Relief 
  • Society of the Virginia Conference.
  • 1887- Benjamin H. Poach to R-MC
  • 1888- William McGee to R-MC Trustees
  • 1888- A. H. Anderson to R-MC
  • 1888- Charles S. Allmand to R-MC (Student Loan Fund)
  • 1899- William H. Allison
  • 1909- Cooke Estate; Rachel D. Cooke-Whitacre Court Case
  • 1920- Annie Watts Hubbard to R-MC (The Sarah Virginia Hubbard Scholarship- Scholarship for Ministerial Students of Monumental Methodist Episcopal Church, South in Portsmouth)
  • 1921-Lemuel Coyner
  • 1922-Mary Lou Jenkins to R-MC (and 1934)
  • 1922- Lucretia Dugas to R-MC  (The Robert and Mary Reid Scholarship)
  • 1928- J.H. Ingwersen to Randolph-Macon Institute (Danville)
  • 1928- Charles Jones
  • 1930- George F. Greene to R-MC Trustees
  • 1930- Codicil of George Vose to R-MC  (Vose Memorial Loan Fund)

General R-MC History and Historical Sketches:

  • “Historical Sketch of Randolph-Macon College” by E. L. Fox in The Southern Association Quarterly, February 1945 [period 1825-35].
  • R-MC history – period 1800s (Moreland).
  • “Randolph and Macon” by Mary Wallace Rowe in Alumnae Bulletin, n.d.
  • Brown, Alexander Gustavus (1833-1900) [Includes his financial agent’s report 1871-72 to VA Annual Conf. MEC, South; “ Memorial”; ltr. to Trustees regarding funds for relocating R-MC and biographical sketch].
  • Special R-MC issue, Richmond Christian Advocate, May 1935.
  • “Randolph-Macon College” by T. McNider Simpson, Jr. in Commonwealth, September 1935.
  • “R-MC – a continuity of spirit” by Lex O. McMillan, III in The High Road, February 1931.
  • R-MC at Boydton in 1850s - some historical incidences and anecdotes by H. Hutcheson.
  • Woodrow Wilson visits R-MC in 1912 – Virginia Cavalcade Winter 1958.
  • Sketch of Boydton with photos – The Southsider Winter 1983
  • Original Charter and Amendments – passed Feb. 3, 1830
  • “Origins of the First Campus of R-MC: An Architectual Note by Thomas W. Dolan in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, October 1985.
  • “Oldest Methodist College” by J. Manning Potts in World Outlook June 1938.
  • Randolph (John) and Macon (Nathaniel): Bio info
  • Macon, Nathaniel (1807, 1823 letters)
  • Letter recounting time spent with John Randolph from John Randolph Bryan, 1878
  • Extracts from letters, 1846 – 47
  • Original promotional material from 1865-66 sent through mail
  • Establishment of R-MC - two reports Leigh and Early 1825-1826
  • Short history by John Ohles in The Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Institutions, 1978.
  • “The Diary of Edward Dromgoole Sims: June 17- August 2, 1834” and “Private Journal of Samuel Lander, Jr.” in The John Branch Historical Papers of Randolph-Macon College. (R-MC Department of History and Government, v.3, December 1954).
  • Postcards of Boyd Tavern House
  • “Randolph-Macon College: A History” by T. McNider Simpson and W.Mabry, 1967.
  • Genealogy of Family of Elihu Hall
  • “Now About This Football Situation” by Thomas Scribner in Virginia Calvacade, Autumn 1956. (football team members not allowed to play for insubordination in 1910)
  • “President Taft and the Football Game” by E. Barrett Prettyman in The Supreme Court Historical Society, Fall 1982.
  • “A Living Endowment” brochure with photos of faculty and members of alumni committee, n.d., appears to be early 1940s.
  • Appeal to Baltimore residents for donations following Civil War – 1870
  • Advertisements for R-MC – 1848; 1887-8
  • Advertisement for “Randolph-Macon Monthly” – 1882
  • Certificate of Stock for Henry Clay Inn Company – 1902
  • Certificate of Stock from Wesley Grove Camp Meeting Association of Baltimore City to R-MC – 1886
  • Copy from telegram to the Daily Dispatch about R-MC commencement – 1872
  • Copy from story about commencement appearing in The Hanover News – 1882
  • Address of Roscoe Dabney Chesterman (member of Captain Parker’s Boy Company) to Sunday School in 1866.
  • R-MC graduation speech – 1835
  • “Story of Old Randolph-Macon” author unknown in newspaper, 1917
  • Address of Charles Taft to graduating class of 1934
  • “It Paid” and “Why Go To College” (brochure)–1923 & 1924 by Robert Casper Lintner
  • Fundraising brochure – “Some Plain Facts about Randolph-Macon College” – dated
  •    around 1926
  • R-MC Historical Sketches - RCA Special Edition, 1934 – Brunswick-
  • Mecklenburg (includes Mecklenburg; Old Ebenezer Academy; R-MC, Boydton;
  • R-MC 1861 (after the Civil War).
  • “Charles Morris’s Memories of Hanover County” transcribed by Edgar MacDonald, Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, v. 23 no.1, February 1985.
  • “Story of Old R-M College” by Hutcherson (first name unk.), Publication unk., 1917.
  • Address to the Society of Alumni, by Hon. Thomas J. Jarvis, 1881.
  • R-MC Historic Campus Engraving
  • Copy of drawing of R-MC: A Randolph-Macon College 1880-1886
  • General history of the College--photographs and prints
  • “A Walking History of the College” by James Scanlon, Ph.D., n.d.
  • RMC Temperance/Sale of Liquor in Ashland (1896), (Includes House Bill #330 to amend the charter of the Town of Ashland 
  • History of Ashland-RF&P 1836-1902
  • R-MC History-Reports/Letters, undated, unsigned – financial condition of the College
  • R-MC Perpetual Scholarships
  • Establishment of preparatory school, report by David Duncan, n.d., appears to be from early 1800s.
  • List of Autographs and Letters to Museum: R-MC Museum, n.d.
  • Misc. Reports – Randolph-Macon Women’s College 1944 – 1948 and Randolph Macon Academy 1944
  • R-MC Viewbooks 1890s and early 1900s
  • Civil War Letters (includes copy of Letters of Leroy S. Edwards Written During the War Between The States
  • RMC 1859-1866 (Diaries, Letters, Misc. Papers)

Faculty/Staff Records: Lecture notes; papers 1868-1940

Historic Letters:

  • George Washington To Governor Spotswood – 1799
  • George Washington to Mrs. Anderson (not Washington but written in same period by someone else – 1794 and 1970 correspondence covering this letter)
  • John Tyler to Dr. Henry Curtis – 1818
  • General Robert E. Lee to Rev. A..[illegible] 1868
  • Grover Cleveland to Richard Irby – 1891
  • Woodrow Wilson to Prof. R. E. Blackwell – 1894
  • Grover Cleveland to R.E. Blackwell – 1906
  • Woodrow Wilson to Prof. R. E. Blackwell – 1913
  • Calvin Coolidge to President Blackwell – 1923
  • George Washington Carver to Mr. Moger (R-MC student) – 1926
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt to President Blackwell – 1935
  • J. Edgar Hoover to Dr. Robert Blackwell – 1937
  • Nathaniel Macon – Nov. 19, 1807
  • Roswell Page – 1894

Literary Societies:

  • Washington Literary Society
  • Washington Literary Society 1833-1939
  • Washington Literary Society 1939-1967
  • Establishment and Early Development (includes the Constitution and By-Laws)
  • Washington Literary Society Papers
  • Washington Literary Society - Invitations
  • Honorary Members 1834-1926
  • Centennial Celebration 1933 Alumni Correspondences
  • Centennial Celebration (1933)
  • Papers response to Washington letter 1933-1975
  • George Washington Letter to General Spotswood 1799
  • Washington Literary Society 1949-1950
  • Franklin Literary Society
  • Records, “Deposited in the Walter Hines Page Library” an undated list
  • Franklin Literary Society 1833-1939
  • Franklin Literary Society Invitations
  • Honorary Members 1834-1854
  • Tyler, John Literary Society Address 1839
  • Rives, John Fletcher (R-MC 1843, 1846) address to Franklin Lit. Society

Photographs/ Portraits/Paintings:

Presidents, Early R-MC:

  • Olin, Stephen-- President 1834-1837 - includes Inaugural Address
  • Garland, Landon C.
  • Letter 1839
  • Articles 1896, 1932-1938
  • Smith, William A. (1846-1866) R-MC President
  • Correspondence 1851-1858 (including Deems controversy)
  • Correspondence 1860-1868
  • Correspondence 1823-1846, 1905
  • Also See:  W.A. Smith’s “Notebook from UVA”
  • Duncan, James A.
  • Biographical Sketches
  • A Letter to the President R-MC
  • Bennett, William Wallace
  • Genealogical Information
  • Biography by James Scanlon
  • Correspondences, Memorabilia
  • Lectures, notes, and miscellaneous
  • Administration
  • Sermon notes
  • Smith, W. W. 1886-1899 (R-MC President)
  • Correspondence
  • Agreement re: Academy, Bedford – 1890
  • Kern, John A.- Papers
  • Starr, William G. President 1899-1902
  • Form, Alcohol from Federal government for scientific purposes
  • Sketches of early Presidents and other significant figures in early R-MC history

Publications (search under title in MaconCat, the online library catalog):

  • The Lemon and Black   (1897) (about life at R-MC)
  • The Jacket PHI – two issues, 1927 and 1928  (from Va. Gamma of Phi Delta Theta)
  • R-MC Sports Publications 1939
  • R-MC System:
  • R-MC Charter (handwritten bill)
  • “Regarding Charter” (1920) - legal papers
  • RMC Campus—Boydton
  • Removal to Ashland; Letters 1866-68 (W.A. Smith, R. Irby, R.M. Smith)
  • Other Early Schools Not in the R-MC System: (male preparatory & female collegiate)
  • Augusta Female Institute, Staunton, VA, later to become Mary Baldwin College
  • Blackstone Female Institute (1894)
  • Buckingham Female Collegiate Institute, Buckingham County (1837-1842/43)
  • Ebenezer Academy (Brunswick County VA (1784) and thought to be predecessor to R-MC, Boydon, VA)
  • Garysburg Prep School
  • Wesleyan Female Institute (Staunton, VA 1848)
  • Randolph-Macon Academy, Front Royal, VA
  • Randolph-Macon Academy, Bedford, Va [ See Also “W.W. Smith”]
  • Randolph-Macon Institute, Danville, VA
  • Randolph Macon Woman’s College, Lynchburg, VA

R-MC Medical Department:

  • R-MC History--Medical Dept 1847-1854 (Dr. J. P. Mettauer)
  • Photograph – Dr. Mettauer
  • 1851 Invitation to Banquet for R-MC Medical Students, Farmville VA

R-MC Treasures:

  • Programs—Invitations
  • Randolph-Macon Alumni Association – Program--First Annual Banquet (1902)
  • Randolph-Macon Songs and Yells
  • Tower Bell
  • 1916 Gold Star on flag at College entrance (honoring William R. Scott)
  • Simpson Mace, Presidential Medallion, College Seal, Academic Dress (includes a folder with extensive information on the Mace and Medallion)
  • R-MC Curiosities
  • The Alma Mater
  • R-MC and WWI [Military Service]
  • Memorial Centennial Gateway on Southeast Corner of Campus – 1928

Students/Student Life/Clubs and Organizations:

  • Student address books - 1898-1902
  • “Now About This Football Situation” by Thomas Scribner in Virginia Calvacade, Autumn 1956. (football team members not allowed to play for nsubordination in 1910)
  • “President Taft and the Football Game” by E. Barrett Prettyman in The Supreme Court Historical Society,Fall 1982.
  • YMCA 1917-1923
  • “A Hazing Episode and its Denonement” (November 1894)
  • R-MC Class of 1898 – Record book and papers, includes names of alumni, a letter from an alumni, and other material
  • Minutes Book, Richmond Chapter, R-MC Alumni 1902-1923
  • Minutes of the Meeting of the Society of Alumni  June 1876 – June 1881
  • R-MC students’ notebooks and misc. books
  • R-MC students’ scrapbooks
  • Phi Kappa Sigma- Roll of Chapters (1858-1860)- (1858-1859)