Academic Buildings

Where learning and leadership happen

Randolph-Macon College is built on providing students with opportunities to learn and grow. The academic buildings on campus are where faculty and students come together to exchange ideas, explore concepts and brainstorm. 

copley science center exterior

Copley Science Center is loaded with state-of-the-art research laboratories and computer centers. This is home for biology, chemistry, computer science, environmental studies, mathematics, physics and psychology majors.

The Copley Science Center is named for R-MC alumnus and benefactor W. Henry Copley '34.

R-MC will be breaking ground on a new science building in late fall of 2015. This state-of-the-art facility will be made possible in part through a $5 million challenge gift from Joan and Macon F. Brock Jr. '64.

Keeble Observatory exterior

The Keeble Observatory is a teaching laboratory of the Physics Department of Randolph-Macon College. Its facilities are used by students in the college's astronomy courses and by advanced physics students with an interest in astronomy. The Observatory is a cornerstone instrument in the College's minor program in astrophysics. It is also used for student and faculty research projects.

fox hall outside

Fox Hall hosts the Classics and Political Science Departments, in addition to the Asian Studies program.

Recent renovations were made possible through a generous gift from Joan and Macon F. Brock Jr. '64.

Haley Hall exterior

Haley Hall is home to the Office of International Education, Modern Languages and English as well as the Butler Language Lab.

Recent renovations were made possible through a generous gift from Joan and Macon F. Brock Jr. '64.

Mabry House is home to the Education Department. It houses an education lab with computer equipment as well as other teaching spaces, offices and classrooms. 

McGraw Page Library exterior

McGraw-Page Library is the main reference center for the college. While the building serves as a traditional library, study and research space, there are also classrooms for library instruction and film studies classes. Media & Instructional Support is also housed here. Take a virtual tour of the McGraw-Page Library.

John B. Werner Pavilion at McGraw-Page Library

The John B. Werner Pavilion at McGraw-Page
The John B. Werner Pavilion offers two spaces for faculty and student use. The first floor, named in honor of Hardaway Abernathy '39, is open 24/7 for student study and houses a small café. Tables, seating and a large table with a flat-screen computer provide a range of study spaces.

The second floor includes a high-tech classroom named in honor of Professor Emeritus George Brown Oliver '49.

Construction of the Werner Pavilion was made possible by a lead gift from the Robert G. Cabell III and Maude Morgan Cabell Foundation in honor of Trustee Emeritus and Honorary Degree Recipient Dr. John B. Werner '53.

Ragland-Henry houses the Business Department.

The next three buildings, Pace-Armistead Hall, Washington-Franklin Hall and the Old Chapel form the Historic Campus which is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The area formed by the triangular position of the buildings preserves many old oak and maple trees planted informally.

Pace Armistead Outside

Pace-Armistead Hall
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pace-Armistead was built in 1876. Formerly used for science classes, Pace is now utilized for the Art History Department and the campus art studio. The Flippo Gallery, an art exhibition space, is located on the main floor.

Thanks to a lead gift from Mr. and Mrs. M. William Armistead, Pace Hall underwent a complete renovation in 1997. The Flippo Gallery was made possible by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. F. Carter Flippo of Ashland, Virginia.

Washington Franklin Hall Exterior

Washington-Franklin Hall
The first building constructed on the site of the R-MC Ashland campus, Washington-Franklin Hall was finished in 1872. The History Department is housed here, and Washington-Franklin is also the site of the college's annual Washington-Franklin Collegiate Challenge Debates.

Washington-Franklin Hall was renovated in 1987 thanks to a gift from Mrs. Paul Mellon and the Gerard Lambert Foundation.

Old Chapel

Old Chapel
The Old Chapel was built by the Methodist Church on the College property as a memorial to the Reverend James A. Duncan, President of the College from 1869-1877. In 1956, the College converted the structure to academic uses, including a small theatre. The Old Chapel is the home of the music program. The recently renovated building includes music classrooms, a chamber music studio, a music technology lab and faculty offices. The Topping Room is used for conferences and seminars.

blackwell patio

Blackwell Auditorium, R-MC Center for the Performing Arts
A venue for both academic and entertainment events, Blackwell Auditorium in the Randolph-Macon College Center for the Performing Arts has a large auditorium and adjoining black box theater (Cobb Theatre). In addition to hosting student programs, the Center hosts cultural arts events throughout the year, including outstanding music and theatre productions as well as lectures by internationally renowned speakers.

Welcome Center

Welcome Center

The R-MC Welcome Center, located on the corner of Route 54 (England Street) and Henry Street, is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This facility is home to the college's Office of Marketing & Communications and is the "check-in" location for all media visiting campus. Upon sign-in, media will be provided with appropriate media credentials and escorted on campus to their destination. The Welcome Center building was made possible in part from a gift from BB&T Bank and the Class of 1952.