Skip to main content Skip to footer

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

If you will be earning money in the U.S. and have authorization to work on campus or off-campus (including graduate assistantships), you must apply for a Social Security number (SSN) in order to be paid. Download Social Security Application Instructions (PDF). When applying for a Social Security number, individuals holding an F-1 or J-1 visitor category student visa will need to present the following documents to the Social Security Administration Office. 

  • All I-20s or DS-2019s
  • Passport, visa and I-94 card

Offer of Employment letter: must come from the employing college department on letterhead and must include the following:

  • Student's full name.
  • When the employment will begin (anticipated or actual employment start date no more than 30 days in the future at the time of application).
  • The nature of the employment.
  • Where the work will be performed.
  • Number of hours per week the student will work (do not exceed twenty hours per week).
  • R-MC's EIN (Employer Identification Number): 54-0505940
  • Employer contact information, including telephone number and the name of the student's immediate supervisor.

This will prove that the student has obtained work or is employed. A sample letter can be found on the next page.

Authorization to Work letter

  • The OIE is the ONLY office authorized to issue this letter. We will need the Offer of Employment letter in order to prepare the Authorization letter.
  • Once you apply in person with the Social Security Administration Office, you should receive your SSN within two weeks.
  • If you or the department hiring you has any questions, please contact the Office of International Education or visit the Social Security Administration's section for foreign students (PDF).
  • Note: As of fall 2012, one-year exchange students are not allowed to work during their time at R-MC.