Resources for Parents

Parents welcome signParents are vitally important to student academic success in college.

One of the most important things parents can do is help to guide their son or daughter to appropriate on-campus resources.

The HAC offers many programs and services to help students achieve their full potential. Parents can and should talk with their students and encourage them to take advantage of any or all of these!

Macon Academic Progress (MAP)

MAP is an academic support program for freshmen who are struggling academically. Students are placed into the MAP program following unsatisfactory grade reports in the fall term (specifically, two or more D's or F's). The HAC provides each MAP student an academic mentor, tutoring services, individualized learning contracts, and skills workshops tailored to specific areas of need and interest. Services/Strategies are designed to assist MAP students in becoming more successful students. Questions about the MAP Program may be directed to Dr. Kelly Merrill at the Higgins Academic Center:

Peer Mentoring

Peer mentors are available FREE to any R-MC student who requests one. Mentors are nationally certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) and are bound by strict confidentiality guidelines. If you believe that your son or daughter would benefit from having a peer mentor, please encourage him or her to contact Dr. Kelly Merrill at the Higgins Academic Center:

Reasons Your Student Might Benefit From a Mentor:

  • He or she is not making an easy adjustment from high school to R-MC;

  • He or she reports feeling homesick;

  • He or she reports feeling overwhelmed;

  • He or she reports not knowing who to ask about things;

  • He or she reports trouble studying or earning good grades;

  • He or she is not sure what organizations or clubs to join;

  • He or she received a letter about Early or Regular MAP;

  • He or she is a B student, but wants to do even better;

  • He or she is struggling with some personal problems;

  • He or she is having trouble with time management;

  • He or she is a transfer student

Subject Tutoring

Tutors for all subjects are R-MC students who have done outstanding work in their courses of study and who want to help others. They are members of a tutoring program that is nationally certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). Tutors are available for nearly all subjects taught at the College. Tutoring is FREE to all R-MC students. Any student wishing to take advantage of subject tutoring can contact Dr. Kelly Merrill at the Higgins Academic Center:

The Communication Center

The R-MC Communication Center provides students with peer writing and oral communication support.  Friendly, professional, and faculty-recommended tutors staff the center.  Writing Tutors can help students with their writing at any stage of the process and in any discipline.  Speaking Consultants assist students with planning, putting together, and delivering speeches, presentations, and other forms of oral communication. Dr. Seth Clabough, the director of the center, is available to organize collaborations with faculty and to meet with them one-on-one to discuss writing and speaking related concerns.

Disability Support Services

Randolph-Macon College's Office of Disability Support Services is responsible for assisting students who qualify with identifying and obtaining reasonable accommodations to support students’ academic and personal success.  Any student who has a diagnosed disability, or who is experiencing significant difficulty in his or her classes, should consider whether a consultation with Mr. Plienis, the College’s Director of Disability Support Services might be beneficial. Many learning disabilities do not fully manifest themselves until a student arrives at College and must take on additional responsibility for his or her own academic success.  Mr. Robert Plienis may be contacted at, or through the links on this page.

Instructional Technology Support

 Both professional and peer staff members are available to assist students with using technology in their academic work. Assistance is available with common instructional technologies, such as Microsoft Office (including Power Point) as well as less common technology needs, such as large format poster printing, digital filmmaking, and videoconferencing. In addition, students may borrow some types of equipment such as laptops, iPads, and video cameras to use to complete class assignments. Any student that needs assistance with using technology in their classes should visit Media and Instructional Services on the first floor of the McGraw-Page Library, or contact Professor Lily Zhang at

Please note that assistance with purchasing or maintaining computer systems is managed through the College’s Institutional Technology Services office, ITS, which is located in Copley Hall.