Former Society of Alumni President John Werner (l.) and President Robert Lindgren
(r.) present the Distinguished Alumnus Award to John H. Clements '52
John Halligan Clements ’52 was the recipient of the Society of Alumni’s Distinguished
Service Award on Saturday, May 31, 2008 at the annual meeting of The Boydton Society
that was held on campus during commencement weekend.
The Alumni Distinguished Service Award was established in 1957 and is presented
to an alumnus who has given outstanding service to Randolph-Macon and has made particular
contributions to the alumni programs of the college in his community and for the
As a student at Randolph-Macon College, Clements was an active participant in a
number of organizations. He was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, the YMCA, served
as president of Phi Kappa Sigma and was the business manager of the Yellow Jacket
weekly. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology in 1952.
Upon leaving Randolph-Macon, Clements entered the banking business as a member of
The Bank of Southside Virginia that his grandfather founded in 1914. Today he is
the bank's president and chief executive officer. He has been active in the corporate
community serving in a directorship capacity for Bankers Title Corporation, The
Trust Company of Virginia, Southside Regional Medical Center, the Virginia State
Board of Social Services and the Cameron Foundation. He has been active in the United
Methodist Church as well as with the local Dinwiddie County government. He served
as chair of the Dinwiddie County Water Authority, chair of the Dinwiddie County
Electoral Board and president of the board of directors of the Southeast 4-H Educational
Center. In addition to being the president of The John H. Clements Company and secretary
and treasurer of Owen Chevrolet, Inc., he was president of Woody's Leasing Company
in Stony Creek, and has been a farmer and a certified tree farmer.
Clements has lived his entire life in Carson, Virginia. It was therefore especially
meaningful that he established, in the year 2000, The Lillie P. and John H. Clements
Scholarship Fund, which provides financial assistance to deserving students from
Clements has served several terms on the Board of Directors of the Society of Alumni
and, in fact, is currently serving yet another term on that key volunteer board.
He was elected to the Board of Trustees of Randolph-Macon College in 1977 and served
for 16 years. He was elected chair of the Board from 1982 to 1993. During his time
on the Board, he oversaw a successful $15 million campaign that allowed the college
to enlarge and modernize the library, restore Washington and Franklin Hall and sizably
increase the endowment. In 1994 Clements received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree
from Randolph-Macon and in 1997 he was named Trustee Emeritus. As a special note
of distinction, Clements was a member of the 1979 Presidential Search Committee
that brought Dr. Ladell Payne to Randolph-Macon.
Clements’ daughter, Kimberly, is a member of the Class of 1987 and two of his uncles
also graduated from the college.