Randolph-Macon’s professors represent the convergence of superb teaching, distinguished
scholarly research and exceptional minds at work. They are the foundation for life
at the college, attracting our brightest students, engaging them with new ideas,
and, ultimately, propelling them towards a trajectory of lifelong inquiry and learning.
The College considers the continued establishment of faculty endowments a high priority
and a vital component in the continued attraction of outstanding students and dynamic
new faculty. With such endowed professorships, we shall retain, reward and promote
the energies of first-rate professors and scholars, and in doing so, we will empower
them to seek new knowledge which, in turn, will capture the imaginations and fire
the minds of our students as they become aware of new worlds, simultaneously drawing
on and developing the unique, fundamental strengths of Randolph-Macon College.
The I. N. Vaughan Professor of History was established
in 1898 by Mrs. Emma Lee Vaughan in memory of her husband, Isaac Newton Vaughan,
a Richmond tobacco dealer, and a member of a prominent Ashland family. This Professorship
honors a member of the Randolph-Macon College History Department. Recipients are:
Back to the Top
The Stephen Watts Professorship grew from the Stephen
Watts Fund, to which Dr. Watts, a surgery professor at the University of Virginia
and an 1896 graduate of Randolph-Macon College, contributed both during his lifetime
and upon his death. Dr. Watts directed his endowment to the “development and advancement”
of the Biology Department. To honor Dr. Watts’ vision, on September 13, 1979, the
Stephen H. Watts Professorship in the Physical Sciences was established.
The Charles J. Potts Award was established in 1995 by
the Board of Trustees to recognize Charles J. Potts’ generous, unrestricted bequest
to Randolph-Macon College. Mr. Potts attended R-MC and was a member of Phi Delta
Theta and the Franklin Literary Society and earned his law degree from the University
of Maryland Law School.
Alexis Gordon Ingram, Class of 1961, established the A. G. Ingram
Chair in English in 1998 to recognize a senior member in the Department
of English. Mr. Ingram, a member of Kappa Alpha Order, joined the U.S. Navy as an
officer candidate after college. Before his retirement in 1998, Mr. Ingram was the
senior vice president and investment officer at Wheat First Union where he had been
a broker for 30 years.
The Paul H. Wornom, M.D., Chair in Biological Sciences
was established in 1999 by Dr. Paul Wornom, a member of the Class of 1937. After
earning his M.D. at the University of Virginia, Dr. Wornom, from 1954 until his
retirement in 1989, was a self-employed physician specializing in the family practice
of allergies, arthritis and immunology, based at Hampton General Hospital. He has
been a member of the American Medical Association, American College of Physicians,
the Medical Society of Virginia and the American Association of Clinical Immunology
and Allergy, where he served as president of the Southeastern Section in 1978. His
brothers, Herman '23, John '29 and Marchant '33 are all R-MC alumni. His nephew,
Charles Wornom '64, is also an alumnus.
The Dudley P. & Patricia C. Jackson Professorship in Chemistry
was created in 2000 by the estate of Patricia Custer Jackson, Class of 1945.
Mrs. Patricia Custer Jackson, a noted plant physiologist, was the retired branch
chief of plant physiology and biochemistry with the United States Department of
Agriculture, and was a founder of the American Society of Plant Physiologists. Her
interests were varied, however and included membership on Randolph-Macon’s Board
of Trustees, activity sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and
participation as an alto singer in the Laural Oratorio Society, Columbia Choral
Society, and Mount Zion Church Choir. Her husband, Dudley P. Jackson, was a member
of the Class of 1944. After graduating, he continued to Medical School and worked
as a physician until his retirement.
The Edward W. Sesse Professorship in Business and Economics
was set up in 1999 in memory of Edward W. Sesse, a Businessman who graduated in
the class of 1929.
The Robert Emory Blackwell Professor of Humanities
is named in honor of Dr. Blackwell, the distinguished 10th president
of Randolph-Macon College. Professor Robert Emory Blackwell was elected president
and held the position until his death in 1938. He entered Randolph-Macon at the
age of 14 as a member of the first student body in Ashland. Except for one year
of study in Europe, he spent 70 years on campus as a student, instructor, professor,
The Macon and Joan Brock Professorship in Psychology
was first named in 2008. Macon and Joan Brock have established a wonderful
legacy of giving at Randolph-Macon College: according to Mr. Brock, “"Randolph-Macon
is a place where I have chosen to make a difference. It is a place where everyone
can make a difference. The college’s record and experience of helping students makes
it an excellent investment for us, both now and for future generations. One person
can’t do it alone, but by working together, we can make a tremendous difference."
Mr. Brock is a member of the Class of 1964, graduating with a degree in classics.
After leaving R-MC, he went on to Quantico, Virginia, for Marine Corps Officer training
at the Basic School. He served in Viet Nam before becoming a successful entrepreneur,
co-founding K and K Toys and Dollar Tree Stores, Inc., a retail chain with over
3,400 stores across the country.
Macon and Joan Brock Professorship in Psychology
Back to the Top
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Professor in Classics
Stavros Spyros Niarchos understood the meaning of thinking and acting globally
long before the term globalization became prominently used in public policy and
economics. His business operations began in Greece, the country of his birth and
heritage, yet his accomplishments were notable worldwide.
Although known predominantly for his shipping business, Niarchos´s diversified financial
activities were at the core of global industry from the time he formed the Niarchos
Group in 1939 until his death in April 1996. His legacy continues into the twenty-first
century with the establishment, upon his death, of the Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation.
Committed to working in Greece and internationally, the Foundation derives its mission
from Niarchos´s keen instincts and interests in providing access to opportunity
in the fields of education, social welfare, health, and arts and culture.
In 2009, the Niarchos Foundation created the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Professor
in Classics at Randolph-Macon College, which benefits the Classics Department, in
general, and supports, specifically, the work of John Camp, leader of Randolph Macon’s
excavations in the Agora (ancient marketplace) in Athens, Greece. The Agora, located
at the base of the Acropolis, was the democratic center of Athenian economic, social,
and political life. Dr. Camp compares the excavation to “digging the Mall in Washington,
D.C.” He continues, “The Agora is a large open space surrounded by all the buildings
necessary to run the Athenian democracy. So far, the excavations have brought to
light the senate building, the vice president’s office, the archives and the mint
and law courts. The American society owes much to the influence of the ancient Greeks:
architecture, painting, sculpture, theatre, philosophy and law.” Moreover, every
year several R-MC students participate in the dig under the supervision of Dr. Camp,
leaving their own marks on this most important archaeological site in Greece.
Stavros Niarchos Foundation Professor in Classics
The Dorothy and Muscoe Garnett Professorship in Mathematics
was established in 2008 through the generous bequest of Dorothy and
Muscoe Garnett. Muscoe Garnett was a member of the Class of 1930; after graduating,
he moved to Suffolk, Virginia where he taught math, science and English for one
year at Cypress High School. Garnett then moved to Washington, D.C. where he worked
as a correspondent with the Public Works Administration. After a short term in the
United States Army, he returned to Suffolk where he eventually became founder and
president of Garnett Oil Company. The company was later sold to the Exxon Corporation.
Throughout their lives, Mr. and Mrs. Garnett remained supportive of Randolph-Macon,
dedicated to providing new and innovative learning opportunities to R-MC students.
Garnett-Lambert Professorship in Chemistry,
established in 2008, is named for Dorothy and Muscoe Garnett, Class of 1930, and
Jordan Wheat Lambert, Class of 1872.