What is CPT?
• CPT is an off-campus work authorization for an internship
When do I need to seek CPT authorization?
• You MUST apply for and receive CPT authorization BEFORE you begin your internship
• CPT is authorized with a specific employer for a specific amount of time
• CPT can only be used prior to completion of studies, while you are enrolled as
Am I eligible to apply for CPT?
• Are you in valid visa status?
• Are you registered as a full-time student?
• Have you been a student in the United States for at least two consecutive academic
When should I apply for CPT?
• When you have a internship offer. This job must be directly related to your field
of study• Before you have finished all of your coursework towards your degree.
• At least 2 weeks before you want to begin work.
Can I get a paid internship?
Here at R-MC, students can only receive academic credit for unpaid internships.
If you want a paid internship (no credit), then you must apply for
When can I start working at this job?
After you have received a new I-20 for this period of CPT, the start date of the
CPT is the first day you can work
I'm a new student here. Can I apply for CPT?
NO. Only after you have completed two continuous academic semesters as a student,
will you be eligible to apply for CPT.
This means that if you arrived in the United States as a new F-1 student in the
Fall semester, you can begin working on CPT after the last day of classes in May.
If you arrived as a new student in January (Spring semester), then you can begin
work under CPT after Fall semester classes end.
The Application Process:
How do I apply for CPT? What kind of paperwork is needed?
Two pieces of paper:
• A form from the Bassett Internship Program
• A form from the Office of International Education
The OIE will sign and return these forms PLUS a new I-20 to you in 2-5 business
If I use CPT at R-MC, can I use it again in graduate school?
Yes. PLEASE note: due to specific internship procedures at R-MC, CPT conducted at
other schools may have different procedures. Every F-1 student is eligible for 365
days of CPT per level of studies (e.g. undergraduate, graduate)