Butler Multimedia Learning Center Quick Reference
Lab Director: Jennifer Shotwell (Ext. 7297;
email@example.com). The Lab Director supervises the Lab Staff (Student
Assistants). She teaches French language courses and serves as the advisor for international
Lab Hours: We are open Monday and Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and
Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We open extra hours in
the evenings and weekends: Monday – Thursday 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m., and on Sunday
3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. The most updated schedule is posted in the lab and on the
Butler Lab website.
The Lab Space: There are 12 PC workstations and 6 PC laptops, as well as
a print station. The lounge area may be used for film screening and group discussion.
What we do
· Trouble-shoot classroom PCs and Media Equipment in the Lab and Haley Hall
· Copy CDs and DVDs for faculty teaching and classroom presentation (subject to
applicable copyright law)
· Scan images and documents for teaching (subject to applicable copyright law)
· Check out equipment (see the Butler Lab Resource Guide for the equipment
list). Upon request and with advance notice, we can also set up equipment such as
video cameras for teaching
· Help faculty with the design of PowerPoint and multimedia presentations
· Host technology workshops for classes upon the instructor’s request and advance
· Host Skype web conferences
· Help students use media production tools (e.g., Audacity and MovieMaker) and language
programs (e.g., textbook-based CDs)
· Coordinate reservations of the lab computers and space for hands-on sessions of
· Help faculty explore educational technologies
· Install special programs per the instructor’s request (contingent upon approval
by ITS and subject to applicable copyright law)
· Maintain the official website of the Department of Modern Languages
Over the course of time, the Butler Lab’s function has been refined so that we may
provide the most efficient service and help with the most common needs of faculty
and students. Therefore, this list may continue to change. Please contact the Director
for the most current list of services.
What we don’t do
· Test proctoring
· Video-taping classes: The Lab staff will set up the equipment upon request. The
instructor will make arrangements for the taping and returning the equipment upon
· Photocopying: Please contact Mimi Wright, Faculty Secretary.
· Printing documents for students from the network printer (except as approved by
a faculty member who is present). Students may use a DAC card to print in the Lab.
· Language tutoring: Please contact Jenny Bruce at the Higgins Academic Center.
· Developing or maintaining personal web pages for faculty or students. Contact
Lily Zhang for such projects.
A more comprehensive reference guide with information on requests and reservation
forms is attached and is available at the front desk of the lab. If you have questions
or need additional services, please contact the director at firstname.lastname@example.org
or at extension 7297.